As Head Chef at St Peter’s Hospice, Andy is used to whipping up delicious cakes for patients. Here he shares his secret for the perfect cream Victoria Sponge.
225g self raising flour
225g salted butter
225g caster sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
4 medium eggs
Whipped double cream
Strawberry or raspberry jam
- Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat with paddle beater until
combined and the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Grease and line two 8 inch Victoria sandwich tins
- Divide mixture between two tins
- Bake at Gas Mark 4 or 180 degrees for 25 minutes or until a skewer
comes out clean when pressed into the centre of the cake
- Remove from oven and allow to chill for five minutes before removing
from tins and allow to cool completely on a wire rack
- Once cooled, remove the greaseproof paper from the cakes and place one on a serving plate
- Cover sponge top with jam
- Pipe or spread whipped cream over the jam
- Place second sponge on top
- Pipe remaining cream on top of sponge
- Decorate with strawberries
Ready, Steady Bake!
If you love baking and would like to support the Hospice, you can take part in Ready, Steady, Bake during March. To get involved, just organise a bake sale, coffee morning or tea party and invite as many people along as possible.