This year, Bristol’s favourite baker Briony Williams is supporting Ready, Steady, Bake! During March, people across the Bristol area will be getting into the baking spirit to help raise vital funds for their local adult hospice.
To get involved, just organise a bake sale, coffee morning or tea party and invite as many people along as possible. Even better, you could be in with a chance of winning a baking masterclass with Briony herself!
Briony has given us one of her favourite recipes, a chocolate orange masterpiece that tastes as good as it looks!
For the cake:
600g self-raising flour
750g golden caster sugar
1 tsp salt
150g cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
250ml vegetable oil
4 medium eggs
1 tsp orange extract
Zest of 1 orange
450ml whole milk
450ml boiling water
+ 3 tsp instant coffee
For the chocolate ganache:
200ml double cream
200g dark chocolate
1 tsp orange extract
Chocolate orange bar, biscuits, shapes… anything chocolate orange!
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Grease and line 3 x 8 inch tins
- Place the flour, sugar, salt, cocoa powder and baking powder in a large bowl. Whisk to combine
- Place the oil, eggs, orange extract, orange zest and milk in a bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add coffee to boiling water and mix well
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture and mix to combine. Then add the coffee mixture and mix well to combine
- Divide between the tins and bake for 30-35 minutes until skewer comes out clean
- Leave to cool in tins then tip onto cooling racks
- Use serrated knife or cake leveller to level cakes
- Make the chocolate ganache. Break up the chocolate in bowl. Heat the cream in a pan until steaming and almost boiling. Pour over chocolate and leave for 3 minutes, then stir well to combine. Place in fridge for 30 minutes. Use an electric whisk to whisk the ganache until paler and thicker
- Build cake. Place one cake on a plate/board, top with ganache and smooth. Repeat with next two cakes. Add ganache to sides and smooth, then put in the fridge to chill for 15 minutes
- Top with chocolate orange goodies!!